Human beings are ever curious creatures that have ever roamed on this earth. And I believe that is the secret to their sustenance. I mean, no matter what it is around them, they get to the root of it. It is insane at some levels but, also no doubt a genius act.
This curiosity perhaps is the root of our sustenance and even you will agree and feels proud of it. Take for example, our body- our own human body- each one of them is different yet there are some concept or rather I should say, diet that works for all of us. Even if not all of us, it works for certain section of people whose goals are the same that is to lose weight.
— My Web Pen (@Mywebpen) April 1, 2018
What is the secret behind that? Huh!
Well, there is no secret, but you can say science, which is again something of an innovation by the humans. Our body has changed since, the time of our ancestors and so has its requirements. Its adaptive and changes with its surroundings. Losing weight is not a secret. All you need to know is how your body functions? And, voila and the key to this science is all yours.
Now, let’s get to the point,
You have heard about ketogenic diet, right? Even if you are not a health freak or hardly exercise, ketogenic diet is something which you simply cannot go unheard.
Yes! It is that popular.
In a short span of time and due to variety of reasons, this ketogenic diet has become the new cool in the world of health and fitness. But what is ketogenic diet?
Well, to put it in simple words, keto diet is practically a moderate protein, low-carb and high-fat diet, which turns the body into a fat burning machine. That’s just the gist of it, you would probably like to know more, so let’s start!
What is Keto or Ketosis?
The primary source of energy in a human body is glucose which is mainly derived from carbohydrate. And, the important thing to note, here is since our body is more habituated with carbohydrates, it burns the sugar or glucose (the primary source of energy). And since, your fats are not needed, they are stored.
Here, ketogenic diet comes to play.
Your body needs to be a fat-burner and not sugar burner. Since, human body is adaptive, by lowering the intake of carbs, the body is induced in a state of ketosis.
Ketosis is the natural process initiated by the body which helps us survive when carbohydrate intake is low. During the state of ketosis, our body produces ketones, by breaking down fats stored in the liver.
A properly maintained ketogenic diet forces our body into a state of metabolism. But, there’s a twist!
We don’t do that by starving our body of calories but, of carbohydrate. So, is there any secret to it, No! It’s science-another discovery of human body by the human beings themselves.
How to reach the state of ketosis?
Now, that you know about ketosis, the next thing you should be worrying about is, how to attain that state.
Attaining ketosis might not be that straightforward at first as you know, “old habits die hard”, but the right information can guide to a fruitful goal and of course, healthy body and mind.
So, what you need to do is,
1. Restrict the carbohydrates. This is the most important things you need to know. If you want results, the answer is here, limit your body of carbohydrate. Try to stay between 20g to 35 g of total carbs a day.
2. Restrict the protein intake. Many people come to ketogenic diet from Atkins diet and do not limit their protein intake. Too much protein can lead to lower level of ketosis. Ideally, for weight loss you need protein intake between 0.6g and 0.8g of protein per pound of lean body mass.
3. Stop worrying about calorie intake. In keto, fat is the primary source of energy- you need to feed your body enough of it. You need not lose weight in keto through starvation.
4. Drink water. Ensure, your body is getting a gallon of water in a day. Water keeps your body hydrated so you need to be consistent with that. It also helps to regulate your bodily functions. But, most importantly, it checks your hunger levels.
5. Stop snacking. Fewer insulin cravings in a day will yield to greater results in weight loss. Stopping unnecessary snacking may lead to slow or stall in weight loss process.
Coming down to the bottom line, keto is great for weight loss and also body cleansing. However, keto has its own side effects and make sure you have professional help throughout the process just to be safe.
After all, the aim is to have a healthy body with optimal weight and improved mental and physical functioning to lead a good life.
Painter and a Cynophilist, Ipshita Maulik swears by yoga and started writing when she least expected it. From Kolkata, she is currently working as a Content Writer in a Digital Marketing Company. Here are few things she loves- eating at new places, hanging out with her friends and everything that are cruelty free.